Reality Roasters believes in the Fair Trade principles. We are a strong supporter of this movement and have worked closely with a number of our commercial accounts to provide them with the best fair trade beans available.
We also support direct trade with our farmers. Heavy Table's Eric Faust writes, in a March 2010 article describing small roasters, including Reality Roasters: "These companies have paid farmers prices that are not only above fair trade and Peace Coffee prices, but also reflective of the quality of the coffee and needs of the farmers. This is a roaster and farmer relationship that the industry has started to recognize as “direct trade.”"
A number of our fresh roasted beans are Fair Trade Certified. Please read the description of each of them. Should you have any questions, please contact us for more information.
Here is a short description of the Fair Trade principles.
1. Fair price: Democratically organized farmer groups receive a guaranteed minimum floor price and an additional premium for certified organic products. Farmer organizations are also eligible for pre-harvest credit.
2. Fair labor conditions: Workers on Fair Trade farms enjoy freedom of association, safe working conditions, and living wages. Forced child labor is strictly prohibited.
3. Direct trade: With Fair Trade, importers purchase from Fair Trade producer groups as directly as possible, eliminating unnecessary middlemen and empowering farmers to develop the business capacity necessary to compete in the global marketplace.
4. Democratic and transparent organizations: Fair Trade farmers and farm workers decide democratically how to invest Fair Trade revenues.
5. Community development: Fair Trade farmers and farm workers invest Fair Trade premiums in social and business development projects like scholarship programs, quality improvement trainings, and organic certification.
6. Environmental sustainability: Harmful agrochemicals and GMOs are strictly prohibited in favor of environmentally sustainable farming methods that protect farmers’ health and preserve valuable ecosystems for future generations.